I've had the unique opportunity to watch this event come to life from the beginning. We were in a hotel in Des Moines when Jon's friend, Mike, called with this idea.
In only a month, Mike, along with the help of others that he has listed at
The Cobblestone Project, the event will be held tonight. And I will be there to be counted.
I'm excited to go. I'm excited to take the kids.
The guest speaker will be Mark Horvath, who is a former homeless person currently on a road trip interviewing homeless people across America -- giving them a name. He's the founder of
InvisiblePeople.tv. Go check out some of his videos and interviews. They're very powerful.
My husband has been in non-profits since graduating from college. Until last year, he worked with troubled kids. Last year, he had the opportunity to become the Executive Director of a homeless center. It has been eye opening for both of us.
Just last weekend, we passed a homeless person on the corner of the interstate exit. Off the cuff, I asked Jon if he knew the man. Jon nodded, "Yep, he's a regular."
For the first time in my life, homelessness DOES have a name.
Does it for you?
I urge you, if you're able: Stand Up and Be Counted!
Or at least check out:
The Cobblestone Project / 1,287InvisiblePeople.tvMark Horvath's Blogand think about ways that you can make a difference in your community.
0 comments:
Post a Comment